Surroundings

Someone said to me once that you only need to do two things to succeed in business; make more profit and spend less. Of course that is a gross over-simplification but it does hold a grain of truth. The key qiestions all revolve around how to make more profit and how to spend less. The forum divides here into two broad headers. One relates to what we can do in these troubled times to ake sure we sell more and the other invites conversation on the subject of efficiency, saving time and getting value for money.
nhcbr900
Site Admin

Surroundings

Post by nhcbr900 »

A lick of paint in the office or the customer areas may seem like a small thing, it may even seem like polishing the Titanic trombone player's instrument. But... making the surroundings more pleasant for all concerned can have a knock-on effect. When people are happy they perform better and coming back to work in a nice, shiny office may just add that tiny percentage that makes a difference.

nhcbr900
Site Admin

Re: Surroundings

Post by nhcbr900 »

The atmosphere in which business is conducted can influence the outcome greatly. Not everyone is comfortable sitting in an office to talk over what they need. During this enforced isolation, one of the areas I will be improving is the outside of my workspace. Being a disused dairy in a farmyard, the immediate surrounding is concrete and fairly barren. To provide a nice, relaxing area where we can chat over coffee, I have cleaned up the concrete and made a macro garden by stacking worn out tyres around the adge and planting flowers. The pub bench had been dumped but will come up nicely when sanded and stained.

The total cost has been just a few bags of soil and compost, some bulbs and seeds an some time. To offset this, i haven't had to pay disposal fees for the tyres.

By the time we get back to normal, this will be a great area to talk business without the pressure of sitting in an office or the distractions of staring at a computer.
websmithy-garden-001.jpg
websmithy-garden-001.jpg (189 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
websmithy-garden-002.jpg
websmithy-garden-002.jpg (157.82 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
websmithy-garden-003.jpg
websmithy-garden-003.jpg (174.15 KiB) Viewed 1718 times

paul33

Post by paul33 »

Looks very inviting Neil, we can all look forward to sharing a drink when next we are allowed out!

nhcbr900
Site Admin

Post by nhcbr900 »

Thanks Paul, Yes a drop or two of something yummie while sitting out there would be very nice. I will look forward to that.

nhcbr900
Site Admin

Post by nhcbr900 »

I've not been posting in here much for the last few days. In deference to my poor old eyes, spending less time in front of a computer has been the order of the day. With that time, I have been working to make my mobile office a nicer experience for visitors when we finally get to go out and travel again. By the time this programme is complete, I will have fitted a new diesel heater to the office space, added more leisure battery capacity so that I can work independently of electrical supply, fitted a solar panel to charge said batteries, and completely re-arranged the storage space, fitting drawers where once cupboards were.

That will make the office more energy efficient, more space efficient and more welcoming. I will also be able to get closer to my customers as the need for an umbilical cord to the electricity supply will be removed. Win, win I would say.